Foodbuzz

Friday, July 29, 2011

My Husband's FAVORITE Green Chili Stew!!





My husband is your typical "meat and potatoes" kind of guy.. If you make something that has HUGE chunks of veggies in it, you'll see him sit there and pick out every chunky piece before he even touches his food or not even touch it at all!!
Beef stew is one of my favorites growing up. I always said my grandpa makes the best stew ever, i still believe til' this very day that it's the best!! I was talking with my mom one day last year and asked her what i could do to a beef stew that Peter (my husband) won't sit there and pick out everything but the meat and potatoes.. She told me she use to make this green chile stew all the time along time ago. it had meat, potatoes, the onions disappear while cooking, it had corn, the tomatoes were chopped small enough, and it had chile. ALL THE THINGS HE LIKES!! is what came to my mind.. So I scribbled down the recipe as she was telling me the recipe.. and gave it a shot!! I had his family over when I made it that night. Everyone loved it, including Peter.. He was mad when he went for his 3rd!! serving, it was gone. so i have to double the recipe now.
This is my doubled version..


  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 pounds cubed beef stew meat
  • 2 onion, chopped
  • 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers ( sometimes when i don't have a can of rotel on hand, I'll chop up some tomatoes with either a Serrano or jalapeno) 
  • 4-5 small cans of beef broth ( i buy a few extra) 
  • 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers ( I use New Mexico Green chile) 
  • 2 teaspoons garlic salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin (optional) 
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 Can of corn 
  •  -    In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil and brown the stew meat and the onions until onions are translucent; about 5 minutes

  • -    Pour in the diced tomatoes with chiles, beef broth and chile peppers. Stir in the garlic salt and cumin. Salt and pepper to taste.

  • -   Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add a little more beef broth or water if needed during simmering

  • -  Stir in corn and cubed potatoes to the mixture and simmer for an additional 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

I like to serve this with some red rice and fresh tortillas and a squeeze a lime for me!! ;)

Enjoy!!

Xo-Kelly


No comments:

Post a Comment